According to the dictionary, a doorbell is a device adjacent to an outer door that is used to notify homeowners that there is a visitor at the gate. Life is becoming more indoor implying the need for notification whenever there is someone at the door, regardless of whether you are away from home or sitting comfortably in your living rooms. The doorbell improves security at your home by notifying you whenever there is someone at your door. However, you need a high-quality doorbell that is suitable to your house as to enjoy all the benefits of a doorbell. Here, you are going to find an introduction to doorbells, detailing the types of doorbells, their features, reviews of the top 10 best smart doorbells in the market today and comparisons of various brands of doorbells.
- 1 Types of Doorbells and their features
- 2 Top 10 Wireless & Video Doorbell Reviews
- 2.1 Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- 2.2 SkyBell HD
- 2.3 Ring Video Doorbell
- 2.4 August Doorbell Cam
- 2.5 Sadotech Model CXR Wireless Doorbell
- 2.6 Jacob Jensen Wireless Model
- 2.7 GE Battery-Operated Wireless Door Chime
- 2.8 Honeywell RCWWL 300a1006 Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime
- 2.9 Honeywell rcwl330a1000/n p4 Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime
- 2.10 NuTone LA11WH Door Chime
- 3 Direct Comparisons
- 4 Conclusion
Types of Doorbells and their features
There are two main types of doorbells; wired and wireless doorbells. The wired doorbell is similar to traditional doorbell, but with slight improvements. It needs a complex wiring system that you may need professional help to install. Wireless doorbells operate on batteries or electricity and do not require wiring.
Wired doorbells are the most practical doorbell out there, but they require regular checks, which make them relatively expensive in the long run. In most cases, a button on the outside of the door at the height of the door knob activates a signaling device, usually a chime inside the building. Pressing the door button, a single pole, single throw push-button momentarily closes the doorbell circuit. One terminal on this button is wired to a terminal on a transformer .A doorbell bell transformer steps down the 120 or 240 volt AC electrical power to a less voltage usually 10 to 20 volts. The transformer’s other terminals connect to one of the three other terminals on the signaling device. Some signaling devices have a third terminal which produces a different sound. A common signaling device is a chime unit, which consists of two flat metal bar resonators, which are struck by plungers operated by two solenoids. The flat bars are tuned to two pleasing notes. When the doorbell is pressed the first solenoid plunger strikes one bar, then the button is released, a spring on the plunger pushes the plunger up, causing it to strike the other bar, creating a two tone sound. (Ding-dong). If a second button is pushed, it is wired to the other solenoid, which then strikes one of the bars, to create a single tone (“ding”) sound.
Features of wired doorbells
- Work to alert homeowners whenever they have visitors or delivery.
- Practical and functional
- A lot of options when it comes to doorbell design buttons
- Has a direct line that provides utmost consistency
- Delivers high quality sound because of its strong sound strength
- Can accidentally stop working for no reason
- Works in limited range.
They have become very popular as they are easy to install and do not require a lot of procedures. The doorbell button contains a built in radio transmitter which sends a radio signal to the receiver unit, which is then plugged into a wall outlet inside the building. The receiver detects the radio signal and activates a sound chip which plays the sound of gongs through a loud speaker. To avoid interference by nearby wireless doorbells on the same radio frequency, the units can usually be set by the owner to different radio channels.
Features of wireless doorbells
- No wiring is involved: The wireless doorbell does not require to be fixed around the house, but will only need to be placed in the doorbell space as it can have its own power source. This makes it a very easy to install device.
- Easy to install: Wireless doorbells come with their own installation instructions and some even like the Ring Video Doorbell has its own tools. This enables most people or anyone to be in a position to install the device. The installation usually takes about 30 minutes.
- High range of chime options: The wireless doorbells have a wide range of chimes to choose from. Some even have a system that it can chime on demand based on the preference of the owner.
- Works long range: Some wireless doorbells can reach as high ranges as 450 feet and some even 1000 feet.
- Blocks background frequencies than the wired: The wireless can block outside interference from similar frequencies as the frequency is adjustable unlike the wired which uses a very old technology, which then may be a bit harder to block the frequencies from other wireless transmitters
- Additional features: They include audio, video recording, night vision and LED indicators. These features help one to determine who is at the door without having to open the door itself. The audio is usually two-way so one can talk to the visitor. Some devices can even be connected to the smart phones which enable one to talk to the visitors from anywhere in the world.
Top 10 Wireless & Video Doorbell Reviews
The wireless doorbells available at your disposal are many. You can have a real struggle to know the best wireless doorbell considering that there are numerous brands in the market. I am going to try and do my best to reviews of the top ten best doorbells so that you can get an idea of which one will best fit your house.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is certainly a step up from the standard model. It is a recommended device by many alarm providers. Let’s see why in our ring doorbell pro review we nominated the best video doorbell.
- Installation will take only 30 minutes
- You can interact with you quest from anywhere in the world
- It offers as view of up to 180 degree
- It has outstanding video quality of 1080p hence very clear in both day and night
- Server cloud allows you to record and store video
- Comes with an easy to read installation guide
- Installation is not easy for novice users
- Requires reliable wireless activity
- Motion sensor doesn’t send an accurate alert it’s too sensitive
The long range doorbell is among the most used, this is probably due to its ability to reach long distances. The other really cool reasons are below.
- Easy to install
- Lifetime warranty
- LED lighting system
- Has over 30 tunes in its chime
- Has a waterproof button which will protect it from most weather conditions hence more durable
The long range doorbell system is a great choice .The manufacturers are so confident in it that they have offered a lifetime warranty. There has to be a reason why they believe in it so bad. This is your chance to find out more in our skybell hd review.
Ring Video Doorbell
It is a fact that home security is indeed becoming an issue and one is looking for the home device that will give them a peaceful mind.
- Has an adjustable camera lens for the best angle
- Has a perfect infra-red LED vision for the best night vision
- Has the ability to save snapshots of the visitors
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Has an easy installation procedure
- Has a free mobile app
- Has a sleek and modern design
- Has a poor customer care support
- Unreliable connectivity
- It doesn’t support cloud recording
You get it for the sleek design and for the fact that is has a great camera angle and great performance. It also has a built-in 8GB storage. It is one of the best doorbells available in the market and find out why see our ring doorbell review.
August Doorbell Cam
This is a very user-friendly gadget as it offers great things not mostly found with other doorbells making it a great device to look for. As we did full august doorbell cam review and we foudn out it’s not perfect doorbell, but it’s good for the price.
- Easy to install
- Has 52 configurable chime tunes
- Durable push button trigger transmitter
- Has an operating distance of 1000 feet
- Have four levels of adjustable volumes
- Has a dual notification system, where the bright red LED light will flash when a person is at the door
- Installation is not easy for novice users.
- Transmission is poor if there are obstacles
Sadotech Model CXR Wireless Doorbell
This model is regarded as the year’s best-selling doorbell models. The model gives a sleek, ultra-modern resemblance and is available in two colors, black and white.
- Has a double sided sticker
- Easy to install
- LED indicators
- 52 different ringtones
- Has a wireless range of 1000 feet
- Has four adjustable volume levels
- Two chime units and one remote transmitter button
- Includes screws, anchors, and battery for remote transmitter
- Weather resistant
- Pocket-friendly gadget
- Lacks recordable audio
- Is not expandable
- Not compatible with the L doorbell series
- Does not come with a motion and door sensor
Like most products, it can work with their other company products series, this model is not compatible with the L series. But do not let this draw you back if you want two areas for a home like a garage and the second floor to ring from a single transmitter.
Jacob Jensen Wireless Model
Wireless doorbells are slowly becoming a necessity and the Jacob Jensen wireless model is a match that isn’t just another pretty face, but actually lives to its standard.
- Easy to install
- 2 year extended battery back-up
- Many receivers and multiple buttons
- Perfect design for a modern doorbell
- Can be expensive if you are not looking for something too elegant.
- Volume adjustment is only between high, low and medium
If you are willing to spend a little bit more on the doorbells than you would otherwise spend on a doorbell. This is a good option, its classy modern and perfect.
GE Battery-Operated Wireless Door Chime
This is a doorbell that they focused on their material so as to make it more durable for the consumer. It is made up of good quality material so that it does not get heated.
- Easy to install
- Two push transmitters and two chime receivers
- Range of over 300 meters in an open space
- Works on both electric and battery power sources
- Push button is ip33 waterproof hence long lasting
- Voice control with a range of over 25 decibels and 110 decibels
- Interference from external devices.
- The instructions could be a bit confusing
- Has a range of 200 meters in a closed space
Honeywell RCWWL 300a1006 Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime
It is a battery operated wireless doorbell with a novel multifunctional system that connects up to six push buttons.
- Has an operating range of 450 feet
- Has an adjustable volume system
- Has a self-learning coding system
- Functions automatically to remove interference
- Has six chime tunes that can change on demand to suit your mood.
- Works with most available motion detectors.
- Not easy to install for novice users
- Limited chime tunes, only six
With the Honeywell RCWL 300a1006, it will be of great help as instead of buying several independent bells and push buttons for several rooms, this model cuts costs without sacrificing quality.
Honeywell rcwl330a1000/n p4 Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime
It is a new model from Honeywell International and has additional features which can explain for its price. Some of these features are pretty amazing.
- Extended range of 450 feet
- It’s a portable battery operated wireless device
- Can be extended to an additional 3 triggers for a total of six triggers
- Have six visual alert icons for added functionality
- Has a self-learning coding system which ensures that there is not interference from outside
- Has a sleek design which goes well with any décor
- Has a CD quality sound
- Offers full volume control
- It is not that easy to install, especially if you are a novice user
- It is a bit more expensive than most doorbell devices
- The tunes are limited to only six
It is a great device to have in a home, especially one with children. This is because it offers full volume control. It also a lighting notification for the hearing impaired or when you have turned the volume off to let your child take that nap.
NuTone LA11WH Door Chime
This is one of the smartest devices in the market. It allows users to interact with their guests from their smart devices.
- Comes with a wide-ranging of chime sounds
- Has the user-friendly interface
- Has advanced motion detection option for your security
- Wireless connectivity
- Reliable warranty comes with it
- Has a waterproof design
- HD video quality is not that excellent
- Unreliable wireless connectivity
- The product comes with no battery power options
- Not everything is perfect in the world and so it’s cool I think that even it has a couple of cons. It has been used by a lot of people and they all spoke very highly of its security.
- It also allows you to talk to your guests from anywhere in the world.
Ring vs Ring Pro
The battle is on to get which is the best doorbell in the market. The first on our list is these two products, which come from the same company. The ring video doorbell going head to head with the ring video doorbell Pro, this is the one that succeeded the previous.
- Design: Ring Doorbell Pro has a small design with 4 different interchangeable colors. You can match the doorbell color with your house or your front door. The other great thing is that it reminds you of a real doorbell hence will look more familiar. Ring video was the first best wireless video doorbell in the market and therefore it is bulkier. It’s a bit bulky compared to other doorbells but still stylish.
- Installation: Ring doorbell can be hooked up with existing doorbell wires or with external power source 16-24VAC. It can also be attached to a micro USB cable and attached to the wall. Ring Pro comes with an advanced power kit which you will need to hook up with existing doorbell wire or with an external 16-24VAC transformer. Power kit will help to stabilize power, making sure that the doorbell will get the exact power that it needs.
- Video quality: Ring Pro delivers superior 1080p video quality compared to Ring Video Doorbell, but has a smaller viewing angle and the video is also darker than the non-pro version. Ring doorbell has a 720 camera which is not full HD but good enough to see who is nearby your door. It has great viewing angle and great brightness.
Skybell HD vs Ring Pro
- Design: Ring Doorbell Pro has a small design with 4 different interchangeable colors. You can match the doorbell color with your house or your front door. The other great thing is that it reminds you of a real doorbell hence will look more familiar. Skybell HD has a similar round silver metallic design, like the previous generation Skybell and Skybell v2.
- Installation: Ring Pro comes with an advanced power kit which you will need to hook up with existing doorbell wire or with an external 16-24VAC transformer. Power kit will help to stabilize power, making sure that the doorbell will get the exact power that it needs. Skybell HD needs to be connected to either an existing doorbell or to an external power source. If you will need to power using an external power source then you will need a diode or resistor which sort to say are sold separately.
- Video quality: When we compared video quality Skybell vs Ring we found out Ring Pro delivers superior 1080p video quality compared to Skybell Doorbell, but has a smaller viewing angle and the video is also darker than the non-pro version. Skybell HD comes with a 1080 camera and like the best doorbell camera quality. The image is clear and colorful. Also, the viewing angles are great.
Ring Pro vs August doorbell
- Design: Ring Doorbell Pro has a small design with 4 different interchangeable colors. You can match the doorbell color with your house or your front door. The other great thing is that it reminds you of a real doorbell hence will look more familiar. August doorbell CAM looks more solid and feels heavier, which makes it look expensive and cool. You can even choose from a wide range of available colors so as to order a bell that complements the existing color.
- Video quality: Ring Pro delivers superior 1080p video quality comparing to Ring Video Doorbell, but has a smaller viewing angle and the video is also darker than the non-pro version. August doorbell CAM has a decent camera delivering a 960 camera quality which is not all that bad. The viewing angles are worse than any doorbell mentioned in this article.
- Installation: Ring Pro comes with an advanced power kit which you will need to hook up with existing doorbell wire or with an external 16-24VAC transformer. Power kit will help to stabilize power, making sure that the doorbell will get the exact power that it needs. August doorbell CAM does not need any diodes or resistor and like the other ones, you can either connect to an existing doorbell wires or to an external 16-24VAC power source.
It’s hard to choose between a specific doorbell as they all have very good and yet different qualities. The best pick should be between Ring Pro and Skybell HD thanks to their high-quality and unique specs. The Ring Pro has better audio quality, the best motion detection capability and the camera gives a high video quality. It does work well with smart home gadgets. On the other hand, Skybell HD delivers most colorful in day and night time, and it works with IFTTT. It also comes with seven days free cloud storage videos. The audio is a bit slow and the motion detector isn’t as configurable as in the Ring Pro. Now, which one would I choose? I am going to go with the Ring Pro because the video quality is enough for me and the Cloud storage is not that bad. It also has the best audio quality without delays.