The Ring Video Doorbell is the first generation of Ring Pro and innovative twist of the traditional analog internet-enabled surveillance cameras. The gadget comes with an easy-to-use application that you can install on your tablet or smartphone to view your guests by just pressing a button. You will use to talk to your visitors at the main gate via your mobile device, leave instructions to couriers and inform family and friends of your whereabouts if they visit when you are away. The Ring provides these features in a very easy-to-use and integrated approach that makes it one of the best video doorbells in the market today. Here is a quick Ring Doorbell Review that will help you know what to expect from this high-end doorbell camera.
How it works
The Ring Video Doorbell allows you to answer calls from your main door using your mobile device. It features a high definition camera with a night vision to provide crystal clear images from your main door both at night and during the daytime. This doorbell is Wi-Fi enabled to connect to Ring’s cloud servers which you can easily access via your tablet or smartphone. When a visitor rings the bell or approaches the door, the motion detectors of the doorbell are activated, and a notification is sent to all the connected devices in the form of a playing standard plug-in chime. You should open this notification on the Ring application of your device to see who is at the main door. You will be welcomed with a live video stream of the guest when you open the notification. Tap talk to enable your microphone because it is on mute-mode by default. You will speak directly with the person regardless of where you are. This wireless connection is possible because the Ring Video Doorbell is configured with your internet router, which connects it to your mobile device. It should always work provided you have an internet connection.
Mobile access: Receive instant real-time alerts when someone approaches or presses the button of your Ring Video. You will speak and see your visitors even when you are away from home.
Cloud-recording: It is similar to mobile access over the internet. It is not real time, but it allows you to watch the recorded footage using the connected devices.
Motion detection: It has motion sensors that are activated whenever someone passes near your door. It alerts you of any activity near your front gate because not every person who approaches your door will press the doorbell.
Lifetime purchase protection: This camera doorbell is attached to the mounting plate using proprietary screws. The protection ensures your bell is replaced if it is stolen,
HD Camera: The camera gives crystal clear images to give you a clear view of your front gate. It offers a wide-angle high definition video.
Light Emitting Diode (LED) Ring: It produces a range of light patterns to indicate the current state of the device to your visitors.
Two-way audio and one-way video: You talk with your guests and see them, but they cannot see you. This makes Ring Doorbell video a compelling security device for use at home. These two features allow you to answer your entrance door calls when at work, on vacation, or inside your home.
The installation process of the Ring is one of the easiest and most straight-forward smart home product installations that you will ever come across. The video doorbell is nicely packaged with easy access to the video bell. It is packaged with a toolkit of all tools that you may need to install the bell in your front door. The toolkit includes a spirit level to ensure proper alignment, screws, and screwdrivers. The Ring application comes with easy-to-comprehend video instructions to guide you throughout the process for both wired and wireless setups.
- If you have an old doorbell connected to an 8-24 V AC supply, replace the old bell with the new ring doorbell.
- Install a doorbell transformer or run your Ring on battery. Be sure to charge the battery via a mircroUSB at least once every month or when it runs out.
The Ring Doorbell camera has a wide field of view of 180 degrees, and it captures in 720p. The video quality is not the best in the market, but it is more than enough for monitoring the front of your gate. The quality doesn’t degrade like lighting does. The images look better on sunny days, and quality lowers slightly at night. Even with the reduced video quality at night, you can still see what is happening thanks to the infrared LEDs. The 180-degree field of view is quite impressive as it allows you to see what is happening on or near your front gate.
The microphone has a seamlessly tuned echo cancellation that ensures you only hear what is relevant. The ring has two speakers that are configurable to ensure you don’t miss any word from your visitor, irrespective of your surroundings.
Pros and Cons
- Dual powered: The ring can be powered by a rechargeable battery or through a live powered wiring.
- Quick and easy to set up and configure
- Lifetime purchase protection
- Wide-angle high definition video: 180-degree field of view to monitor your front gate
- Night vision to ensure 24/7 live monitoring
- Weather resistant
- Highly compatible: You can see and speak to your visitors from various devices, which include your monitor, desktop, tablet, smartphone, and laptop.
- Smart design and compact with a sandblasted metal at the bottom.
- Reliable motion detection: Ensures you get alerts even when a visitor doesn’t press your doorbell
- One month cloud storage: Allows you to track and monitor what has happened in the past one week.
- Available in several finishes: It comes in Satin Nickel, Antique Brass, Polished Brass, and Venetian Bronze finish helping you choose a finish that blends with the surrounding environment.
- Delay between doorbell press and smartphone alert
- Easy to steal if installed in an easy-to-reach position.
- Offers only one-month cloud storage:
From this ring doorbell review, is clear that the Ring Doorbell has loads of superb features for you. Make an effort to have this doorbell installed at the front door of your home. You will enjoy comfort at a new level, and you will always know who is at your door. Make this convenience a reality by installing Ring Doorbell, and for real, you will never regret and if you don’t like the design and video quality then you should check Skybell HD review that we did here.